Wednesday 6 October 2010

The quest for wand materials..

I have just been out traipsing around the forests with my daughter in search of suitable woods for wands, and, success! I have found several beautiful sticks. Some are unknown, one is rose, and I brought some leaves back from the trees they came from so I can identify them.
I have some plans in mind for these wands already, although they will certainly change as the wands seem to almost make themselves! Although I do make some of my wands with glue, I want to go as organic and natural as possible as that helps to make the wand more powerful.

The rose stick is very slender and delicate, so I don't know if it will hold a crystal well, but perhaps if I dye it a lovely red, fading to pink, and treat it with some of my very expensive rose otto oil, and Moroccan rose oil, that should be lovely. I may even carve a very faint delicate rose vine up it, and fill in the lines with gold. Perhaps I will add some ruby red satin ribbon to the handle.

I need to identify the other branches before I think of what to create with them...I think I may have accidentally cut a hawthorn branch, although I did leave an offering in return, Irish folklore says it is bad luck to cut a hawthorn as you may offend the fairies living in that tree. It is regarded as a tree that is a portal to the faerie realm. Seems I have some apologizing to do before I make that particular wand, although when made, it will be a very powerful conductor for fairy magick!

I may also have an alder, aspen, beech, box, or hazel, all the leaves look similar! Aw heck, I should just go get the dratted branches and take a peek lol. I also know where to find the most magickal of all trees, the rowan, and also possibly a sycamore tree (which I at first mistook for a strange maple tree, turns out they are in the same family!) and silver birch as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment